Re: Bug or filling feature?

From: Joe Brenner
Subject: Re: Bug or filling feature?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:31:03 -0800

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why does fill-paragraph in org-mode produce something like this:
>
>   bla bla http://some.where/ bla bla bla
>                  //bla bla
>
> The // on the second line was added by fill-paragraph and is aligned
> with that on the first line. I did not change any setting. Or at least
> I do not think I did. I did a customize-save-customized however, to
> save another totally unrelated setting.

I think this is a long-standing bug (though I don't know if it's ever
been reported as one).  It comes up in a lot of contexts.

If you start with the following paragraph, and re-format it with the
fill column after the word "multiple"...

The greater than symbol: > is used for multiple purposes when one
is out riding the inner tubes.

...you end up with this:

The greater than symbol: > is used for multiple
                         > purposes when one
is out riding the inner tubes.

At a guess, this is a bad side-effect of some code that was written
for formatting quoted paragraphs in mail messages and so on.

Myself, I normally format things with fill-paragraph for its speed, but
in cases where it messes up, I use an elisp wrapper to run an external
script:

http://groups.google.com/group/emacs-perl-intersection/browse_thread/thread/35c4c3832bef103e