Re: Emacs interface to debbugs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs interface to debbugs
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:25:51 -0600

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:33:20 +0100 Reiner Steib <address@hidden> wrote:

RS> On Thu, Jan 14 2010, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:20:37 -0500 Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

CY> It would also be nice if the debbugs package allowed browsing bug
CY> reports as a Gnus feed.  (Also, I want a pony.)
>>
>> Do you mean a RSS feed?  Or do you mean a full Gnus backend?  The latter
>> has potential as it would allow posting.  The metadata could be in the
>> headers.

RS> We already have `gnus-read-ephemeral-bug-group' for reading specific
RS> bugs.  IMHO, what we need next is to adopt Peter S. Galbraith's
RS> (Cc-ed) Debian Emacs package (debian-bug.el?) to Emacs' debbugs so
RS> that we can do most of the things described in admin/notes/bugtracker
RS> (tagging, closing, ...)  from Emacs (message-mode).

IMHO it's easier to do these actions from the MUA (Gnus) than from the
lower level of message-mode.  I could be wrong, though, and see my
caveat below.

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:35:27 +0100 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> The advantage of the Debbugs SOAP interface is, that you can search over
MA> the whole database. `gnus-read-ephemeral-bug-group' seems to be focused
MA> on just one bug, you know the number.

A full Gnus backend would, instead of creating an ephemeral group for
the bug, provide the usual facilities for listing, reading, and creating
articles that mirror bugs.  I think this is valuable.

OTOH not everyone wants to use Gnus, but everyone can use message-mode.
So this is useful to only some people--is it worth the effort to discuss
and develop it?

Ted