Re: log format for vc-bzr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: log format for vc-bzr
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 00:24:03 +0200

> From: Óscar_Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:51:07 +0100

> >> Merge point is not about internal details. It is a fundamental concept
> >> which the user is required to know if he pretends to make an effective
> >> use of the DVCS.
> >
> > If it's such an important fundamental point, then why it is not
> > mentioned even once in the docs?  At least I couldn't find it.
>
> IMHO, Bazaar docs are way too simplistic when explaining DVCS core
> concepts, if they explain them at all.

I wasn't looking for explanation of core dVCS concepts.  I was looking
for the explanation of what "revert --forget-merges" does.  It could
have been explained without introducing the "merge point" concept.

But even if we accept that "merge points" must be understood for the
explanation of --forget-merges, the manual still shouldn't have used
"pending merges".  If a tool has a "merge" command, then a "merge" is
what that command does.  So talking about "pending merges" after a
merge was already done is simply bad didactically.  And the "merges"
part in --forget-merges is likewise a bad idea.  --forget-merge-points
might be a better one, because everyone will understand that a "merge
point" is not the same as "merge".