Re: emacs bzr and git-bzr

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: emacs bzr and git-bzr
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:07:51 +0100

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 16:26, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Is there a way to use one of the "git-bzr" scripts out there that's safe and
>> consistent with the way we want to use bzr for emacs  development?
>
> I'd ask on a git-bzr list rather than here,

There is no such list as far as I can tell. And there is not one such script but
multiple [1] competing ones all not very flexible. I have used one of the bash
version of the script in the past and started fixing it and decided it was not
worth it. In it's current form it adds absolutely nothing but restrictions, and
would have to be completely rewritten.

Of course it would be nice if someone wrote a better version, comparable to
e.g. git-svn. I might work on it in a few weeks but if someone else wants to
give it a shot I would be more than happy. You should probably start by
looking at git-svn which is written in perl.

git-bzr won't work for what you (Ken) would like to use it because (a) it does
not rebase your git branch (instead you have to maintain (rebase) your own
branch which can not be the branch used for importing (I believe)) and (b) it
can only we used to pull and push from a local bzr repository (so git-bzr would
not hide bzr from you as it would still be needed to push upstream.

git-bzr could be used for "emacs bzr" but it wouldn't be as simple as running
one command as it is with git-svn.

-- Jonas

[1] http://github.com/pieter/git-bzr/network (is there another version I am not
    aware of?)