Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:23:50 -0500

    I have added an optional pause in the download where the user may
    check the file before it is byte compiled and used.

That is rather vague, so I don't know exactly what you mean.  Judging
from what you've said, a "chance to check the file" is insufficient to
make it easy for users to install and run edited versions.  So this
autoloading is still harmful.

    Some people argued that downloading files as you need them is not
    useful. I think it can be. If something like this was used for ELPA

The idea of an ELPA is just theoretical at this point, but if we have
one, "autoloading from the net" won't be allowed in it unless you
convince me to approve it.  You won't convince me unless you show me
you understand and care about the issue I am concerned about.

    then different people could depend on each others files.

If that is desirable technically (which is far from clear; it could be
unmodular), there are other ways to do it.  Packages in Debian depend
on other packages and they don't autoload from the net.

But even if it turned out that autoloading gave some advantage, that
isn't a major factor in a decision this important.  A minor
convenience is insignificant compared with the community harm that
this could do.

You are trying to rush us into a major policy change which is
potentially dangerous.  We will not be rushed.  Please slow down!

Please take this change out of your distribution sources, pause for a
week, and then post a clear explanation of what you are proposing now,
so that I can have a chance to see what its consequences could be.