Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:05:48 -0500

> From: Kevin Ryde <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 09:38:27 +1100
>
> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > A simple update after a few days can easily require to transfer 10 MB.
>
> Ah, thanks, that'd be very borderline.  If it's potentially every commit
> then it's a killer.  I wonder if the wiki could put the requirements up
> front a bit more.  Without being too provocative something like
>
>     The repo is about 300Mb.  An initial checkout will download it in
>     full and may use about 1Gb of RAM while doing so.  Subsequent
>     commits and updates could transfer as much as 10Mb even for modest
>     changes.

But the last sentence could be blatantly misleading, it seems.  For
example, today's "bzr up" crams 185MB(!) of data through the wire.
And that's only according to the progress indicator; who knows what
else is going on on the protocol level?  My previous update was 16
hours ago, and the files actually changed on the trunk since then are
just a few:

 M  lisp/ChangeLog
 M  lisp/vc-bzr.el
 M  src/ChangeLog
 M  src/dbusbind.c

It sounds like such a massive update is due to the change in the
branches configuration in the repository: most of the branches were
moved to the old-branches and other-branches ``subdirectories''.
Maybe this is a very infrequent situation, but it does show the
potential.

So I'm not sure if we should tell anything about traffic beyond the
initial branch, whose size is more or less known and changes very
slowly.