Re: Emacs 23 Mac port

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 10:19:19 +0000

On 2010-01-02 04:21 +0000, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

>> However, my old font setting under ns does not seem to work:
>
> Try replacing "_" in the family names with " ".  The font backend
> driver of the Mac port, as well as the ones in X11, doesn't avoid
> spaces in font family names.
>
> To get font family names, you can use `(font-family-list)' or check
> the result of `(x-select-font)' as in the GTK+ build.

Many thanks.

>> Also is there a way to disable tool-bar in such a way that it does not
>> display the tool-bar first and then hide it and shrink the window as
>> is done by (tool-bar-mode -1).
>
> I assume you are using initial-frame-alist or something like
> that.  This behavior can also be observed in the GTK+ build, and
> a known workaround is to use X resources.  It is also applicable
> to the Mac port.
>
>   For permanent setting:
>   $ defaults write org.gnu.Emacs 'Emacs*ToolBar' 0
>   (This corresponds to adding the line 'Emacs*ToolBar:0' into
>    ~/.Xresources)

This is another plus. I like it and I now use it to set tool-bar off and
the default font ;) It seems the ns port does not even support this.
Many thanks.

>   For temporary setting:
>   $ .../Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -xrm 'Emacs*ToolBar:0'
>                                    YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
>                               address@hidden

I don't know if this is a bug but it was surprising when I first saw it.

For example, when using emacs to edit .TeX files with AUCTeX which
allows you to view the output pdf (AUCTeX compiles to pdf files if
TeX-pdf-mode is t) file with key 'C-c C-v'. If you open a pdf file that
is not already open through 'C-c C-v', all pdf windows will be raised
above the Emacs window and obscure it, giving a feeling that Emacs just
disappeared (I thought it crashed in the first time). If the pdf file is
already opened, there's no such problem.

The ns port has this behaviour, only the new pdf window is raised and
the emacs window is still visible (i.e. it is consistent whether the
file is opened or not).

This emacs port provides a close feature set to that from GNU/Linux.
Thanks a million to make it available to emacs 23. I will use it heavily
and see if it is also stable.

Best wishes,

Leo