Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:04:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Is there no way to fix an error in a commit message?
>>
>> You can undo a commit with `bzr uncommit'.
>
> But the issue is not to undo the commit, only fix the text of the
> commit message.  Something similar to "cvs admin -mREV:MESSAGE".

There is no equivalent for `cvs admin -mREV' in bazaar.

Maybe it is not clear from my description that `bzr uncommit' does not
throw away the change: it reverses the state to the point previous to
the commit, so you do

bzr uncommit
bzr commit -m "the right message here"

> Typos in commit messages still can happen, even with bzr ;-)

AFAIK, the commit message is a part of the revision, so if bazaar
allowed to simply edit it, you would be "transmuting" the revision,
(i.e. it would have a different revision-id) and that is absolutely
forbidden in DVCSs. What you can do is to remove some revisions and
replace them with others. Just don't do it on public branches.

You can change anything on the history of your private branch using a
variety of techniques (being `bzr uncommit' the simplest one,) but we
have to admit that changing the message of an arbitrary revision is
something that can't be done due to the nature of DVCSs

--
Óscar