Re: ERC: Scroll to bottom by default

From: Edward O'Connor
Subject: Re: ERC: Scroll to bottom by default
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:31:00 -0700

> This has always bugged me[...]
> Given the nature of IRC and IM protocols in general, I think most
> people would want to enable scrolltobottom by default and set
> erc-input-line-position to -1,

I disagree. One of the advantages of using IRC (or IM, etc.) in Emacs
is that things act like they're in Emacs. If a buffer started keeping
its last line at the bottom of the window, regardless of mode, that
would be really weird.

> to make it act like pretty much every
> other IRC client out there.

By that argument, we should have kept `erc-prompt-interactive-input',
which moved the ERC prompt out of the buffer and into the minibuffer.
But that UI doesn't fit in with Emacs, so we dropped it.

> I keep forgetting how to set it, since there are two variables that need to
> be changed.

Maybe the documentation could be improved to make how to do this more clear?

Ted