Re: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:46:19 +0900

Steinar Bang writes:

 > > What the bzr repo will make definitely *much* easier *immediately* is
 > > for you to keep your own bleeding edge branch locally, and then push
 > > from there to the Gnus mainline when it's "open for commits".  You'll
 > > need to learn more of bzr than you might otherwise, but it's worth it.
 >
 > FWIW I have been using the Gnus trunk for over ten years now (closing on
 > twelve, I think), and except for when lars were rolling releases,

I'm not suggesting *any* workflow for Gnus.  I'm saying that
some things become easier with a dVCS and others do not.

 > If you are going to do big changes, it's much better to let them loose
 > on a bunch of testers as early as possible, instead of sitting with them
 > on a branch just testing them yourself, and then committing them
 > big-bang to the trunk.

Sure; but "early as possible" definitely varies by project.  Gnus as
an independent project from which Emacs syncs occasionally is a rather
different entity from one which is more closely integrated to Emacs,
eg, supplying reusable components to mail-mode and eventually RMail.