Re: Bug fix needs to be put in release branch

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Bug fix needs to be put in release branch
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:21:16 -0400

> I installed a bug fix in the trunk that makes auto-save
> work properly in Rmail files.  Would someone please install
> it in the release branch?  I don't have a checkout of that,
> and it would not be feasible to check it out here even if I had time.

I don't think it's appropriate to make this change in the branch.

Could you describe the problem you are trying to fix, and do you have a
recipe for easily reproducing it?  In Emacs 22, auto-save is also
disabled in Rmail.  If I understand correctly, this behavior is
unchanged for Emacs 23---so what's the reason for changing it now?

It should be possible to get auto-save working in Rmail without
extending buffer-saved-size. For instance, we could change
rmail-swap-buffers-maybe to manage the auto-save variables
appropriately.