Re: line-move-visual

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:13:24 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm using <up> and <down> (arrow keys) for visual line move,
> and C-p and C-n for logical line move.  At least, this
> setting please myself all the time.

I actually used to do this myself -- I had my own "visual line move"
commands, bound to C-S-p / C-S-n.

However even that was annoying, mostly because since wrapped lines are
in fact, rare, I would almost always first do the wrong thing and then
have to correct it:  C-p, end up in the wrong place, curse, move back
down with C-n, and then visually move up again with C-S-p.

In other words, despite knowing about the issue and having my fingers
trained for over 20 years using traditional C-p, _still_ I would often
instinctively expect visual behavior.  It was a palpable relief when
Emacs adopted its current behavior.

-Miles

--
Guilt, n. The condition of one who is known to have committed an indiscretion,
as distinguished from the state of him who has covered his tracks.