Re: set-fontset-font and preferred charset?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: set-fontset-font and preferred charset?
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 21:17:41 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> > So, if he uses 23.2 trunk code, there's no need of extra setting.

> > Perhaps, I should add that code for 23.1 too because it can be
> > considered as a bug that Emacs 23.1 dislays several characters as
> > half width by M-x list-charset-chars RET japanese-jisx0208 RET.

> I'm not sure if it is an intended behavior or a bug, but even with the
> trunk code, M-x list-charset-chars RET japanese-jisx0208 RET shows
> latin-1 characters such as PLUS-MINUS SIGN and MULTIPLICATION SIGN in
> half width.

Oops, I've overlooked that problem.  Emacs searches for a
font for C in this order:

(1) search a font-group for C in the current fontset.
(2) search a font-group for C in the default fontset.
(3) search a fallback font-group of the current fontset.
(4) search a fallback font-group of the default fontset.

When a user specify a font (not fontset) as the default
font, Emacs creates an fontset based on that font, and if
the font is iso8859-1, the created fontset uses that font
for iso-8859-1 characters.  So, at the step (1) above, the
default font is found for all iso-8859-1 characters although
the preferable font should be found at the step (2).

But, I'm now improving the font-searching routine for 23.2.
One of the change I have in my mind is to merge the steps
(1) and (2) (and (3) and (4)) while removing the duplicated
font specifications.  Once that is done, the above problem
will be solved eventually.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden