Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow again under Windows)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 06:06:16 +0300

> From: Mathias Dahl <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 23:01:53 +0200
>
> I understand that the release of 23.1 is not far away and I am a bit
> worried that this bug won't be solved before that. Is there anything I
> can do to help? I use a lot of UNC file names / paths in my work and
> the current slowness is very annoying (both opening files and listing
> them in Dired). As this was a problem in the past too it isn't
> unreasonable to believe that the bug has reappeared by mistake when
> fixing some other thing (could it be related to TRAMP?).
>
> I am willing to go bug hunting as long as it's in elisp-land and would
> like to get some hints on where to start digging.

Please post some measurements (the original report says "a few
seconds", which is quite vague) and the basic performance data of your
machine.  Also, please tell if this happens with every file, even one
visited in Fundamental mode, or only with some files.  I will then try
to reproduce this.  Best I remember, I didn't have such problems on my
machine, but maybe I misremember.