Re: fontsets/charsets documentation suggestion

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: fontsets/charsets documentation suggestion
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:40:56 -0700

From: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 23:19:51 -0700

2. A glossary. What is a charset, what is a font registry, what is a
script name symbol, what is encoding and how are these things related?
A ground-up explanation of the ecology of bytes, encodings, charsets
and fonts would be great. Even, dare I say it, a diagram. This stuff
is very confusing.

This is in the manual, see the node "Character Sets" and maybe the
other nodes from its parent "Non-ASCII Characters", if you need more
background.

If something is missing or unclear, please post more specific gripes.

Hmm, I wonder if this is part of the problem. Section 26 of my Emacs Info file is 'International Character Set Support', and everything relevant seems to be under this heading. I don't see a 'Character Sets' or a 'Non-ASCII Characters' node. There's no index entry for 'registry', neither does a grep of the info files for 'registry' produce any definition of the word as related to fonts. Am I looking in the wrong place? (I'm using a CVS build on Mac OSX, the ns Emacs.app version.)

3. What are the relevant functions and variables? As a non-expert user of middling programming ability, I was totally baffled by set- fontset-
font and all the possible permutations of its arguments. Likewise for
create-fontset-from-fontset-spec. Since those two functions seem to be
the weapons of choice for font manipulation, their descriptions could
stand to be about four times as long as they are, with LOTS more
examples. And when you're trying to get your fontsets right
(particularly with multiple languages), you need to see lists of
possible charsets and registries. These lists are in variables like
charset-list and charset-script-alist which *aren't mentioned in the
docs*.

Can you give a list of use-cases for which you'd like to have
examples, and/or point out what is unclear or insufficiently detailed
in the "Fontsets" node of the manual?

The existing examples would be clear if I'd gone into it actually understanding the difference between a charset, a script and a registry, and knowing which variables contained the possible values for each of these three concepts. My particular use-case was defining specific fonts for English/Latin, Chinese and Thai, and I did not understand where 'han' came from, and its relationship to 'chinese- gb2312' (I have since been directed to charset-script-alist). If I'm actually missing a chunk of the documentation this would be better.

There aren't any examples of using create-fontset-from-fontset-spec, and it would be nice to see one or two. The documentation for the function is technically correct, I'm sure, but is the kind of documentation that's only useful if you already understand how it works. Neither 26.15 Defining Fontsets nor the documentation say how you actually employ a fontset once you've made it. This has got to be one of the most complex areas of Emacs customization, and it would be nice to err on the side of too much hand-holding.

Thanks for your response, and I do hope that I'm just missing something...

Eric