Re: Printing

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:37:25 -0400

> 2) M-x ps-print-buffer-faces; the buffer is printed, but every
>    non-Latin character is replaced with '?'.

Yes, this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

> b) Use standard GTK+ printing facilities as GEdit and many other
>    applications do. Emacs is built with GTK+ interface for quite some
>    time now, so I suppose there should be no architectural problem in
>    using GTK+ for printing as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is a lot more difficult than it sounds: Emacs uses Gtk is very
non-essential ways (i.e. only for the scrollbars, toolbars, and
menubars, but not for the actual text).
It might be a good idea to try and do a real Gtk port of Emacs, tho.

        Stefan