Re: Changing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 used by emacs --server

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Changing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 used by emacs --server
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:07:21 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately the gdm from Debain Etch in the
>> setup here does not do so, but only sets XAUTHORITY.
>
> That's very odd.  I've been using Debian's gdm since Sarge and it's
> never done that to me.

This might be due to my setup (I'm using a custom, $HOME/.xsession to
start my window manager and some other stuff).  Anyway the problem seems
to be not too seldom, as gpg-agent -- which has the same problem of
being an daemon running an xclient (pinentry) on changing displays -- is
able to update not only the DISPLAY but XAUTHORITY, too.

>> I'll try to fix it in my .xsession file.  But I still think that it
>> would be handy if one could tell emacs to reevaluate XAUTHORITY or to
>> change the used xauth file by any other means...  :)
>
> You have the source so you can make it do that,

:)

> but I don't think it's worth the trouble, since it's a lot easier to
> solve it outside Emacs.

Would it be that much trouble?  DISPLAY is already communicated to the
server and used, why would it be especially hard to do the same for
XAUTHORITY?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
"Structure is _nothing_ if it is all you got.  Skeletons _spook_ people if