Re: Platform-specific symbols in cus-start.el

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Platform-specific symbols in cus-start.el
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:53:54 -0400

On Mar 21, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
was incomplete.  You cannot just add platform-specific symbols to
cus-start.el, because building Emacs will then output warning
messages, like this:

I see, thank you. There's a couple more things that need to be done as well (such as defining the Nextstep group).

You need to add something to the code that avoids warnings for symbols
that are native to specific platforms.  See the change I committed; I
have no way of testing that on NextStep, so please see that I didn't
break anything.

Yes, this works.

Related to this, is the kludge below found in nsterm.m appropriate, or should cus-start be fixed?

/* these are unsupported but we need the declarations to avoid whining
     messages from cus-start.el */
  DEFVAR_BOOL ("x-use-underline-position-properties",
               &x_use_underline_position_properties,
     doc: /* NOT SUPPORTED UNDER NS.
*Non-nil means make use of UNDERLINE_POSITION font properties.
A value of nil means ignore them.  If you encounter fonts with bogus
UNDERLINE_POSITION font properties, for example 7x13 on XFree prior
to 4.1, set this to nil.

NOTE: Not supported on Mac yet.  */);
  x_use_underline_position_properties = 0;