Re: paths are sensative to double separators

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: paths are sensative to double separators
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 23:55:52 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > > I can't imagine anyone relies on having Emacs deliberately disobey
 > > "/foo/" C-q "/" and convert it to "/".
 >
 > C-q / doesn't say "mark this slash as a special slash that shouldn't
 > be magical.  It only says "don't use the command bound to slash, but
 > instead just insert a slash char".

My opinion is that slashes should not be magical at all, except as
electric key strokes in UI.  If the facility were implemented that
way, I would automatically get the behavior I prefer (and at least
some others seem to agree).

 > > N.B.  This matters if you want to use URLs, because not only do you
 >
 > find-file does not work for URLs unless you enable url-handler-mode.
 > If you enable url-handler-mode, then "file:///foo" will not be converted
 > to "/foo".  I.e. I think it works correctly, including for URLs.

The question I asked is, will "hg://authority//foo" be converted to
"hg://authority/foo"?  Url-handler-mode is clearly broken in 22.1.1.
It doesn't understand the hg: scheme, so after enabling url handler
mode, C-x C-f C-a C-k "hg://" ==> "/" in the minibuffer, and even
worse, C-x C-f C-a C-k "file:///Users/steve//.zshrc" RET ==> wrong
type argument: stringp, nil.  I hope/assume this works better in 23,
but maybe you should check.