Re: ruby-mode : ruby-mode-set-encoding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ruby-mode : ruby-mode-set-encoding
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:30:51 -0500

>> (defun ruby-mode-set-encoding ()
>> "Insert a magic comment header with the proper encoding if necessary."
>>
>> and AFAIK only ruby mode use this type of thing. It is added to saving
>> functions hooks :
>>
>> (add-hook
>> (cond ((boundp 'before-save-hook)
>> (make-local-variable 'before-save-hook)
>> 'before-save-hook)
>> ((boundp 'write-contents-functions) 'write-contents-functions)
>> ((boundp 'write-contents-hooks) 'write-contents-hooks))
>> 'ruby-mode-set-encoding)

> I agree. I think this is just too intrusive. Fortunately, I don't use ruby.

I don't know if it's too intrusive, but it seems unrelated to Ruby.
Nobuyoshi Nakada, looking at the history of ruby-mode.el at
http://svn.ruby-lang.org/repos/ruby/trunk/misc, it appears the change is
due to you, could you explain what this is intended to do?
If it's not specific to Ruby, then maybe it should be moved elsewhere.

        Stefan