Re: Dired patch for `i' - bounce between subdir line and its inserted li

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Dired patch for `i' - bounce between subdir line and its inserted listing
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:53:02 +0200

>  It's not about double-tapping. That was never described as the purpose of the
>  patch. Similarly, always taking you back where you came from was never
> described
>  as the purpose of the patch.

Sorry for reading my thoughts into your proposal.

>  With or without the patch, `i' always inserts a directory when used on a
>  directory line. That's a feature (the original behavior of `i'), not a bug.

Yes, it is not a bug.

>  The question is what `i' should do when it is _not_ on a directory line. In
>  vanilla Emacs without the proposed patch it just raises an error: "Attempt to
>  insert a non-directory: c:/foo/bar/toto.el". With the patch, it goes to the
>  parent directory line, if there is one, in the same Dired buffer. Which of
> these
>  behaviors is more useful? That's the only question, because that's the only
>  change the patch makes.

I can only describe how I work and I would not use the patched `i' in
that way. I would have liked it for the double tap thingy but now that
I realized that have bad side effects I would not like it anymore :) I
would never use `i' on a non-dir line outside the context of inserting
the same dir. That's not saying other would not like it, of course.
Now that I know about `^' doing what I want I will probably start to
use that. It is unlikely that I do this on the top level by mistake so
it will work for me I think.