Re: You can set this variable in your initialization file.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: You can set this variable in your initialization file.
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:06:06 -0400

>> Many variables cannot usefully be set in the .emacs file and yet C-h v
>> keeps telling me "You can set this variable in your initialization
>> file".
>>
>> I don't know of any.

> For example, in my .emacs file I can set `noninteractive'

>     noninteractive is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>     Its value is t

> although I set it back since I am running in an interactive terminal.

> I can also set `minibuffer-completion-predicate'

>     minibuffer-completion-predicate is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>     Its value is t

> (Setting seems crazy to me -- but I can set.  Perhaps `usefully'
> is the appropriate word.  What other variables should not be
> customized, although they can be?)

This link is displayed all the time, so for non-newbies its
informational content is nil.  For newbie, telling them that they can
set minibuffer-completion-predicate in their .emacs is just a clever way
to confuse them.  I'd rather we only add it to variables that are
`custom'izable.  Later on, they'll learn about the rest.

        Stefan