Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:33:13 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Yes, but the problem here is rather that you may need to redefine which
>>     commands should deactivate the mark. Doing that with a symbol property
>>     makes it much more flexible.
>>
>> Why is it important to be able change whether a command deactivates
>> the mark without changing the command itself?
>
> As the users of cua-selection-mode already testified on this thread,
> it is important for them to be able to tune this feature for some
> commands.

Because the commands are not prepared for "this feature".  The solution
is to make them support the feature straightforwardly, not with covert
properties tacked on as an afterthought.

> And the easiest way to do this is to change properties.

I am not concerned about the easiest, but an appropriate way.

> Since there were complaints that property lists are "hidden" from
> users, I propose the following patch to display them in the output of
> `describe-function' and `describe-variable'.

Properties are not part of either variable or function.  They are part
of the symbol.

Lisp is Lisp, and Scheme is Scheme.