Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:01:21 -0400

    > When you switch from workspace A to workspace B, does your current
    >  window configuration get recorded as workspace A?

    Yes, it does.

In that case, it sounds like your code does part of the desired feature.

But the other GUI aspects are crucial.

    I firstly had an implementation using names. Then I changed it for
    single letters, because it saves a lot of time when switching. But
    this can be changed back easily.

One reason they should be names is that these names should appear on
the screen giving users a graphical way to select a perspective.

    I often use mode hooks to call `workspace-goto-or-create' before, so
    that mode-specific automatic windows reorganisation happen in a
    dedicated workspace. I then use C-c C-d space to swap workspaces. As
    an example, calendar/diary is hooked so that I'm taken to workspace
    'c' before windows reorganisation happens.

That makes sense.

    Concerning the tabs, I'm not sure to see what they are. But if I
    understand correctly, my opinion is that buffer switching is superior
    and less intrusive.

Tabs are a graphical interface for buffer switching.