Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:12:43 -0400

> Currently I do not find a single way to handle the following scenario
> reliably: (1) Select some "region" of text, (2) scroll the window the
> text appears in such that `window-point' gets relocated, (3) perform an
> action on the region selected in step (1).  Everything I tried so far
> (transient-mark-mode, mouse-drag-region, delete-selection-mode,
> pc-selection-mode, CUA-mode) failed.  Any plans to handle this?

It's due to 2 limitations:
1 - one of the region's ends is point.
2 - point is kept visible.

Lifting limitation 1 is probably undesirable.

Lifting limitation 2 basically means being able to scroll point out of
view without relocating window-point.  This might be doable: probably
any non-scroll command would force scrolling back to make point
visible again (which is what happens in other editors that provide this
facility, AFAICT).

It might even be hacked in Elisp at least for a proof of concept, by
detecting when point is moved because of scrolling, then setting
cursor-type to nil, recording the original point, deactivating the mark,
and then in some pre-command-hook reactivate the mark (if it was
activated before) and set point back to its original value (thus causing
the scroll-back).

        Stefan