Re: address@hidden: Re: Emacs 22.2 release plans - request for a slight

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Emacs 22.2 release plans - request for a slight delay.]
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:36:33 +0000

Hi, Martin!

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 03:11:40PM +0100, martin rudalics wrote:
> >In fact, here's a provisional patch!  C-M-a seems to run fast enough with
> >it, even in .../src/lisp.h.

> Still takes more than three seconds here while parsing the entire buffer
> happens instantaneously.

Hey, when will you guys stop complaining?  ;-)

For me (1.2 Ghz Athlon) C-M-a from EOB in .../src/lisp.h take ~1.5
seconds.  Previously, it was about 30 seconds.  That's an order of
magnitude speed up.

The problem is that it is impossible to decide without an unbounded
search whether

    int foo [50] ;
    (char *) bar ;

occurring at the outermost nesting level of a file.c is declaring global
variables or is a k&r region declaring function parameters.

I'd welcome suggestions as to how to speed it up, though.  I can't see
much alternative to what I've done (put a limit on 20 paren/bracket
pairs in a k&r region) unless I put in a "column 0 heuristic", something
I'd realy rather not do.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).