Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Jonathan Rockway
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:43:05 -0500

* On Fri, Mar 14 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>>  If Mercurial had the ability to truly support multiple branches in
>> the same folder (with out requiring me to merge all branches before I
>> can pull - pull works only if there is a single tip/branch), I would
>> have preferred it mainly because it just needs PYTHON and nothing else
>> (GIT needs PERL and SHELL).
>

> How did they do that? It needs both perl and sh? Is there really any
> perl programmer who writes code that way?

I don't think they mix Perl and shell in the same files.  It's just that
git is a collection of written-in-C "plumbing" and then some helpful
scripts on top of that plumbing.  Some of the helpful scripts are
written in Perl, some are written in shell.

So to use git, you need a C compiler, a UNIX shell, and Perl.  But I
think that setup is actually more common than Python, so it's not a real
loss.  (Except on Windows that doesn't have a shell or a as-good-as-UNIX
perl.  But Windows is lacking in a lot of other features too.)

Finally, for the record, git is not a good place to learn Perl from :)
But hey, it works.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway