Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:28:42 -0400

> Well, now we have cvs, git, mercurial and bazaar. Having a subversion

You forgot to mention Arch, which with CVS is the only one actually used
very actively for development (it's used to keep branches in sync).

> repository will complete the long story.
> I just hope this indecision will not continue for too long and confuse
> people in terms of which repository to use. So far, i just had to
> mention 'emacs head' has this problem on some platform in reporting
> bugs. I have now started adding the repo info too!
> I request the new maintainers to make a decision in the near future
> and streamline this for 23 series.

As long as the forgeign branches are kept in sync with the CVS branches,
I don't think it's a big deal.  For me the plan goes as follows:
- ascertain that Bzr is good enough for our usage pattern.
- place Bzr branches that mirror the CVS ones (and are kept in sync)
  on savannah.
- get vc-status to a good enough shape to be usable on those Bzr branches.
- get Miles to switch from Arch to Bzr to do the merge between branches.
- drop the CVS repository.

        Stefan