Re: Shift-movement selection

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Shift-movement selection
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:07:22 -0700

I'll stop be chatty for a bit after this but:

Additionally, have some key binding that turns
a regular mark on the top of the stack into a
tentative mark.

And, instead of "transient mark mode", have
some display mode that highlights the marked
region when and only when the top of the mark
stack is a tentative mark.

Then, in the common situation when I know the
mark I want is buried  on the stack but I'm not
sure where, I can iteratively turn the top of stack
into transient, to see what it is, and then discard
them until I find the one I want.   The kind of
thing one currently does with maddening iterations
of C-xC-x and C-UC-@, but friendlier.

So, summing up:

Shift-marking can be really nice even for
classic-style Emacs "power users" and it can
be implemented as a combination of a post-command
hook (installed and removed on the fly) plus
a default binding (mildly hairy) for shifted keys.

-t