Re: Shift-movement selection

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Shift-movement selection
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:51:31 -0400

      So it would need to be implemented by some special
    > feature that checks for shift.  But I think that is an unclean way to
    > do things.

    I strongly disagree that doing things consistently for the user is
    unclean.

It is unclean in Emacs to hard-wire the meaning of the shift key.

    That is what CUA mode does now - and it works _very_ well.
    E.g. to mark a word, line, or sexp, just do S-M-f, S-C-n, or S-C-M-f.

    Why force people to use the arrow-keys etc. when we have the
    perfect emacs bindings already.

What bothers me is not that S-C-f would enable the mark, but that C-f
would disable it.  That is an incompatibility in something important.

But if disabling the mark has no effect in the contexts where it now
has no effect -- for instance, with Transient Mark mode off, or
mark-even-if-inactive t, then the incompatibility only affects an
unusual non-default mode of operation, so it is tolerable.