Re: FW: Minibuf menu when minibuffer is standalone

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: FW: Minibuf menu when minibuffer is standalone
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:05:21 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
For learning perhaps? Maybe not very useful for you though ... ;-)

However looking at the Minibuff menu when doing C-x C-f in CVS Emacs 23
I see a little bit strangeness:

  Minibuff
   Complete -- TAB
   Complete Word
   List Completions -- ?
   Previous History Item -- M-p
   Next History Item -- M-n
   Isearch History Backward -- C-r
   Isearch History Forward -- C-s
   Enter -- C-j
   Quit -- M-ESC ESC

I would perhaps expect some to be different

   Previous History Item -- up
   Next History Item -- down
   Quit -- C-g

It seems like the choice of keybinding to show could be done better.

The Quit one looks bad indeed.  The other 2 are right: we want to show
the bindings which work everywhere whenever possible, whereas `up' and
`down' keys may not always be available.

It is a difficult choice what to choose, but I would prefer up/down for beginners. Are there really any cases where up/down are not available today?

   Enter -- C-j

I do not understand that one at all.

That's not too good either, indeed, but I don't see it here (it just
doesn't say anything at all for me).

Emacs 23.0.60.1, 2008-03-10.

But I can't understand why "Enter" should be in the menu. It is really not surprising that you press ENTER to enter the data, or is it? Of course I see a lot of people entering data in a web browser using the mouse to click the submit button, but I do not think anyone of them uses Emacs ...