Re: Diffs between %s and %s end here

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Diffs between %s and %s end here
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:39:55 +0100

On Sun, Mar 09 2008, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     When I produce a diff before committing a change, I often want to make
>     sure the no unintended/other changes crept in.  I expect to see
>     exactly the diffs, not some disturbing additional lines.
>
> How do you check that they are exactly the same diffs?
> Do you use M-x compare-windows?

No.  Usually I just look at it.  E.g. when someone sends a mail with a
patch for Gnus, I apply it from the mail buffer.  Then I do `C-x v ='
(or `=' in PCL-CVS) and check if everything is as intended (e.g. that
there are no other unrelated uncommitted changes).

> When that comes to the end of the diffs in both buffers, the fact
> that one has a note saying "end of diffs" won't make it harder for
> you to tell that the two are identical.
[...]
> I don't think that end-of-diffs message will do any harm when you save
> or mail the diffs.

I can only repeat that even after seeing this note several time, I was
still distracted.  We already had such a end-of-diff note in CVS (see
the subject: "Diffs between %s and %s end here") for some weeks and
_nobody_ argued to keep it, but several developers were and still are
strongly against it.

>                                                  Additionally, in
>     compilation mode, it is more clear that this line is not part of the
>     output because the bold words are in green or red:
>
> We could put colors into the notice in the diff buffer just as we do
> in compilation mode.

I agree with Juri (and others)...;
in <address@hidden>, Juri wrote:
| Then we could use the same non-intrusive solution already implemented for
| compile: when compilation is successful it displays the successful status
| in the mode line of the compilation buffer in green.  When compilation
| fails, it displays the error code in the mode line in red.
|
| So no additional text is necessary to append to the end of the output that
| many find too annoying.  This modeline indication should be enough for
| confirmation the process completed normally.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)