Re: strange code in ediff-hook.el

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: strange code in ediff-hook.el
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:41:19 -0500

> address@hidden (Michael Kifer) writes:
>
>   > > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>   > >
>   > >   > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
>   > >   > > Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:11:15 -0800
>   > >   > >
>   > >   > >
>   > >   > > Is this code in ediff-hook.el useful:
>   > >   > >
>   > >   > > (if purify-flag
>   > >   > >     () ; if dumping, autoloads are set up in loaddefs.el
>   > >   > >   ;; if the user decides to load this file, set up autoloads
>   > >   > >   ;; compare files and buffers
>   > >   > >   (autoload 'ediff "ediff" "Compare two files." t)
>   > >   > >  [....]
>   > >   > >
>   > >   > > It's hard to see why... What am I missing?
>   >
>   > This is from the times when ediff was not part of emacs. It is also useful
>   > for debugging (if the menus will ever be changed, which last time happened
>   > years ago).
>
> So you'd not object if those autoloads are removed?

Why remove? I said it is useful for debugging if the menues will need to be
changed.

>   > >   > > Incidentally all ediff*.el files have some strange
> require/featurep/load
>   > >   > > code.  Is that stuff really needed?
>   >
>   > Are you talking about the compiler pacifiers? This reduces the number of
>   > compile-time warnings. At least used to.
>
> There are other ways of avoiding warnings (nowadays we zero byte-compile
> warnings when bootstrapping emacs).  I'll get rid of that code.

What does it have to do with bootstrapping? I am talking about debugging.
When there are many warnings due to some files not being loaded, it
becomes hard to spot real problems.

> Also is this autoload still needed?
>
> ;; This autoload is useless in Emacs because ediff-hook.el is dumped with
> ;; emacs, but it is needed in XEmacs
> ;;;###autoload
> (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>     (progn
>       (defvar ediff-menu
>       '("Compare"
>         ["Two Files..."  ediff-files t]
>           ["Two Buffers..." ediff-buffers t]
>     [snip...]

That seems to be not necessary any more.