Re: Diffs between %s and %s end here

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Diffs between %s and %s end here
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 23:59:29 +0200

>>> Maybe we should put informational messages like that as an (evaporating)
>>> afterstring overlay on the final LF character?  That way they would not
>>> be copied anywhere.
>>
>> I think this is a good idea: this footer will be still displayed
>> but not copied or saved.
>
> I don't. I object to the visual appearance of this footer in any form.

My comment was for the case when displaying this footer is unavoidable
(though I don't think it is), and provided it will be optional, I will
immediately turn it off.

Since it seems the discussion currently reached consensus that
additional text is necessary only for visual indication, I have
a question: isn't visual indication for the current status
in the mode line is sufficient with the new face `mode-line-emphasis'?
Maybe we should install a change that uses this new face to display the
status, and wait for more feedback?

Then what about *cvs-diff* and *Diff*?  Should they use the same technique?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/