Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:18:26 -0800

  >     I dunno, maybe it's just a personal foible, but emacs the "diff" command
  >     used to add this sort of terminator line (haven't noticed recently) sort
  >     of terminator string, and I always found it very annoying -- it probably
  >     doesn't cause anything to _break_ but it was like an ugly little wart,
  >     and I always ended up going to extra effort to delete it when saving the
  >     output.
  >
  > I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.  If there is no
  > other reason for its removal, we should put it back in.

I think you misunderstand, this has not been done in any released
version of emacs, it was just a failed experiment in CVS HEAD.

  >     I think the highlighted mode-line status indicators used by
  >     e.g. compile-mode (running or finished etc) now are really nice and do a
  >     great job of quickly making me aware of what's going on.
  >
  > Those canbe useful, but inserting text at the end is also useful.  For
  > instance, M-x compile does both.  When it finishes, it inserts text
  > saying "Compilation finished ...".

Compilation buffers are fundamentally different: people don't email them, read
the with a lot of attention, and don't pass them to other tools, so this
argument does not apply.

  >     It forces you to do yet another operation (delete the extra output)
  >     every time when copying from the diff buffer to and email message, or
  >     some other place.
  >
  > You don't need to delete that extra output.  It doesn't cause any harm
  > if you copy it into an email message.

I does, I've had a bad personal experience with that: after adding
patches at the end of mail messages with  using M-x insert-buffer RET *vc-diff*
RET
I got a comment: "Please fix your mailer not to insert crap at the end of
messages"
There's no reason to subject emacs users to such abuse for absolutely
zero benefit.