Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:55:08 -0800

  >     Please don't, there temporarily was some for a few months, and it was
  >     discussed at length on the list and voted out.  It is annoying when you
  >     have to copy the buffer that there's extra text that is not part of the
  >     diff that you have to deal with.
  >
  > Suppose it says "End of diff output".

That's approximately what it used to say, and it was very much hated, and voted
out.

  > Why is it a problem if you copy that along with the diff?  If you
  > copy that, what harm does it do?

It forces you to do yet another operation (delete the extra output)
every time when copying from the diff buffer to and email message, or
some other place.  We do have a superior, very intuitive solution
(i.e. displaying the running status in the mode-line), that does not
require extra work, so it is not a good idea to go back to something
that does not provide any advantage, but requires extra work in the case
of copying from the diff buffer (which nowadays is quite a frequent
operations, many many patches get emailed between developers).

  > It won't bother `patch'.

It will bother the reader though.