Re: Mode line changes

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Mode line changes
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:20:17 +1300

 >   > 1) Toggling line and column display should move to mouse-3 as it's a
 >   >    convention the this button is used for pull down menus where possible.
 >
 > mouse-1 on the mode-line pops both the major-mode and minor-mode menus.

That's why I said "where possible".  Mouse-3 is tied up with other menus on the
major and minor modes.  Whereas mouse-3 currently on the line number mode does
nothing so I don't see the point in breaking the convention when there is no
need.

 >   > 2) The size indication lighter shouldn't toggle line and column display
 >   >    because it has a different purpose.
 >
 > Why not?

Because it's not intuitive and I guess it's bad UI design to have two buttons
next to each other that do the same thing.

 >   > 3) The mode-line-highlight should not be applied to mode-line-remote
 > because
 >   >    this face is used for `buttons' and no local-map (binding) has been
 > added
 >   >    here.
 >
 > Yep, but if there's no highlighting you'd never know there's anything
 > special about that place on the mode-line if you don't keep the mouse
 > long enough for the tooltip to appear.

You have a point but you might just ask yourself why the symbol was there, in
the first place and then you would have to move the mouse over it to realise it
has mode-line-highlight anyway.  In any case, the hand icon appears where there
is mode-line-highlight, so I think the user will expect thatsomething should
happen if he clicks there.