RE: lisp-indent-line and comment-region in emacs-lisp-mode menu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: lisp-indent-line and comment-region in emacs-lisp-mode menu
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:33:23 -0800

> > I don't care if you add it, but please don't bind it to
> > TAB. I use TAB to do `lisp-indent-line' (the default) always.
>
> This is not the default anymore.  TAB in emacs-lisp-mode now uses the
> default TAB binding `indent-for-tab-command'.

I'm using Emacs 22, but `indent-for-tab-command' still respects
`tab-always-indent' in Emacs 23, no?

> That's why Dan raised this question. In Emacs 22, the Emacs-Lisp
> menu has the item: Indent Line (TAB)
>
> Now in CVS it shows a menu item with non-default
> `lisp-indent-line' that  has no key binding.  I think it makes
> sense to replace it with the command `indent-for-tab-command'
> that is bound to TAB.

I have no problem with the menu reflecting the default binding, and I didn't
object to Dan's suggestion.

I objected to your proposal to do something like the code you sent, *if* you
also intend to bind that to TAB. IIUC, your code does not respect
`tab-always-indent' - it simply completes a symbol if there is no active
region and the preceding char is a symbol or word constituent. I don't want
such behavior to be the default.