Re: MAINTAINERS file

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:17:56 -0700

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>> We should use Bzr because that is becoming a GNU package.
>> GNU packages should show loyalty to each other when possible,
>> and in this case it is possible.
>
> Is there an Emacs bzr repository yet?  My main concerns are the speed
> and the size of the local data (the emacs source tree being a bit
> hefty).
>
> Thanks,

I've been experimenting importing the Emacs CVS repository into Bazaar.
In fact, I am currently using Bazaar's cvsps-import plugin to import the
entire CVS repository.  So far the process has taken about a week on the
(not very impressive) hardware I have available.

I've actually been working on this as a side project for about a month
and I have tried several different import methods, including a previous
attempt at using cvsps-import.  My last try was unsuccessful, but I
think I have worked out the problems.  That's encouraging, because
cvsps-import is incremental and would allow people to try bzr in the
same way that they can try the unofficial git repository.  I played
around for some time with a repository that was *nearly* complete and it
weighed in at around 450 M (with all branches).

My original plan was to pipe up on the lists *after* I had something
that I knew worked, but I'm pretty close, and I thought I might save
someone the trouble of duplicating my efforts.

Jason Earl