Re: 23.0.60; GNU Emacs does not handle composed characters

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; GNU Emacs does not handle composed characters
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:10:03 +0100

Peter Dyballa <address@hidden> writes:

> When pasting a copy of a filled in text from OmniWeb (a Web browser coming
> from the NeXT) into a file buffer in GNU Emacs (mode-line  starts with
> -U:), which was launched with -Q, the German umlauts ä,  ö, ü, Ä, Ö, Ü are
> stripped off their diaereses and mutate to a, o, u,  A, O, U. Typing C-u
> C-x = on such a Marcel Duchamps character leads  to an error message in
> echo area:
>
>       Format specifier doesn't match argument type

Did you configure with --enable-font-backend?  I see the same error with
tibetan characters in the HELLO file, and it goes away when I disable
the xft support.  The error manifests with internal-char-font returning
only a single element list for these characters.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden