Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Didier Verna
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:46:34 +0200

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> This is a one-off suggestion to emacs-devel, and y'all can do what you
> want to with it.  Reply-To set to xemacs-beta where I plan to follow up.
>
> Stefan Monnier writes:
>
>  > > Two frames always imply a fight: the window manager will try to find
>  > > places for them and decide on how to focus them.  Getting a separate
>  > > window tamed is the matter of C-x 0 or C-x 1.  In contrast, C-x 5 0 or
>  > > C-x 5 1 will leave one with a window configuration that might be worse
>  > > than if just one frame would have been placed.
>
> The important implication of this is that window manager or init file
> settings might leave the splash screen obscured.  That's not what
> Richard wants.  David's particular configuration is not a big deal
> (except to him), given the goal of this decision, but the complexity
> of getting the splash screen on top is.

  AFAICR, we talked about this several years ago, and I think my opinion
was already that a so-called splash screen should be an
override-redirect window (not managed by the window manager), centered
on the screen[1], that stays for a while (see below), or until there's a
mouse click on it.

But note that it's different from a user calling display-splash-frame
which should probably stay as it is. I really don't think most users
make an actual use of the splash screen at startup (but prove me wrong).
However, when someone calls d-s-f, it's probably to do something with it
(click the about buttons and stuff). So the splash screen need not be
interactive IMO.

Footnotes:
[1]  that would also have the advantage of giving time to setup all the
faces and stuff *before* the first frame is actually displayed, and only
then, popup something ready to use.

--
New @-quartet featured CD Review !!
http://www.indie-music.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6457

Didier Verna, address@hidden, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-BicĂȘtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   address@hidden