Re: can't set both mode-line color and default frame font?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: can't set both mode-line color and default frame font?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:49:39 -0400

>> I meant that if Lisp does choose -to- customize, that should
>> take precedence because it is a choice (there's your reason).

> And setting a face preference via an X resource is _not_ choosing?

> I still don't see an argument (a reason) that applies only to `custom-file'
> and not to X resources. Flip it around, and it makes just as much sense
> (little).

You're right.  Which implies that there's no absolutely always 100%
superior solution.  So we can choose between the two based on other
considerations.  E.g. the fact that Custom settings are only ever set by the
user for Emacs, whereas X resources may just as well be set by some global
application such as Gnome and may apply to many more applications than just
Emacs, so they're *in general* less specific.

        Stefan