Re: Outline mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Outline mode
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:02:57 -0400

>> I don't think that's a good idea in general: it forces every entry to span
>> at least two display lines: one for the heading and another for the
>> ellipsis.  In some contexts it might be accpetable, but definitely
>> not always.
>> Maybe you could make it an option.

> Actually, with my patch, the ellipsis appears on the same line as the
> heading.

Duh, I overlooked this "detail", sorry.
But then in what way does it help?  You may now move the cursor to just
after the ellipsis but actually be placed right after the newline (rather
than at the end of the text).  And if you remove the newline, you get into
the undesired situation where there is no ellipsis any more to warn about
the presence of invisible text.

Of course I'm biased: it would break reveal-mode which I wrote and use
extensively with outline-minor-mode ;-)

        Stefan