Re: Compilation order. Help with makefiles, please!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Compilation order. Help with makefiles, please!
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:16:48 -0400

>> An "easy" solution is to prefer reading the newer .el files rather
>> than the older .elc when `requiring' a file during
>> byte-compilation.

> Stefan, the essential issue here is to ensure that cc-{mode,engine}.el
> actually get recompiled after a change in cc-langs.el.  This needs stuff
> in the makefile.

Yes, that's another part of the problemn indeed.  My suggestion just removes
the need to compile cc-langs.el before compiling cc-engine.el but doesn't
help making sure that cc-engine.el gets recompiled at all.

This requires something in the Makefile, but we could extract it
(semi-)automatically by doing a makedepend kind of thing (I had written such
a trick which looks for `require's and `provide's to build the dependencies:
it does suffer from circular dependencies, so either we'd have to live with
complaints from `make' or we'd have to break those dependencies manually).
We could also tweak the byte-compiler to do something like what
"gcc -MD" does, but I suspect this would also suffer from
circular dependencies.

        Stefan