Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:06:18 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think this change is a mistake:
>>     +** Emacsclient has been extended to support opening a new terminal
>>     +frame.  Its behavior has been changed to open a new Emacs frame by
>>     +default.  Use the -c option to get the old behavior of opening files in
>>     +the currently selected Emacs frame.
>
>> For people that normally don't make new frames, this will be a
>> hassle.
>
> Agreed.  It may also be a hassle for people who use multiple frames
> because IIUC it will create only one frame per emacsclient rather than
> one per file, like I use.
>
>> So I think it should depend on the value of `pop-up-frames'.
>
> I disagree.  It should just revert to the old behavior (i.e. revert
> the "-c" arg to emacsclient).

Normally I don't use several frames, but for emacsclients I like the new
behavior.  Making it depend on pop-up-frames wouldn't help me, so I'm
for the reversed behavior of the -c option, too.

But then -c --current-frame would't make sense.  How about -m
--make-frame?

BTW: The man page needs to be updated, too.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris has  never won an Academy Award  for acting... because he's
not acting.