Re: etags licence?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: etags licence?
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:16:29 -0400

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:

> Presumably Gentoo, or any other distribution, does not "have" to do
> this, but rather is doing it as a courtesy to its users: I assume the
> string "GPL-3 FDL-1.2 BSD" means that all of the contents of the package
> are available under at least one of those licenses.

Some comments:

1. etags is not classed as "part of Emacs", if this is relevant.

2. there are some other files in the distribution that are under
   earlier versions of the GPL (eg in lwlib/).

3. there are some files under the MIT/X11 license (this may not be the
   "PC" term), in oldXMenu.

There may be other exceptions I have forgotten at the moment. Anyway,
I think it is right to say that everything that is a proper "part of
Emacs" is GPLv3 or later.