Re: can't turn off font-lock

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: can't turn off font-lock
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:31:51 -0500

About documentation and font-lock vs non-font-lock faces.

For instance, the third paragraph of the Faces node says this:

     Emacs uses faces automatically for highlighting, through the work of
  Font Lock mode.

This statement is one of the reasons why I conflated Faces and Font Lock
in the first place.  To me, making the minibuffer text appear in blue,
or the mode line in some kind of reverse video, or grep hits in yellow,
is "highlighting".  Everything that isn't normal text was "highlighting",
in my naive understanding.  Oh well.

I can suggest explicitly stating something like "Emacs also uses faces
in other circumstances, not related to Font Lock".

Also, that node's section title is "Using Multiple Typefaces".  This
also misled me.  Emacs' faces are hardly the same as typographic
typefaces; they are at least as much about, well, highlighting (via bold
or underline or whatever), as about choosing Times Roman
vs. Helvetica.  I suggest that simply "Faces" would be a less misleading
name.  Anything that doesn't use the word "Typeface" would be an
improvement, IMHO.