Re: [RfC] Saving narrowing information within window configuration

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: [RfC] Saving narrowing information within window configuration
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:23:14 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I think window configurations are mostly used for saving and
> > restoring the state as seen by the user, aren't they? So restoring
> > narrowing just seems to be the right thing.
>
> Narrowing is not a part of the window configuration.  Strictly
> speaking, I already find that restoring point and mark is a mistake
> here: window-point is the only thing that should be restored in each
> window (if there is a currently active window, this will incidentally
> also restore point, but that can't be avoided).

(Indeed, now coming of think of it, I can recall being "bitten" by the
automatic restoration of poin. "Bitten" in quotes because other times
this snapshot of state behaviour was exactly what I wanted.)

> > (If restoring narrowing by default is a change that is too invasive,
> > I'd have nothing against making it optionally.)
>
> It is simply a mistake to do so.  Narrowing is not a feature of the
> display, but of buffer accessibility. [...]

I can understand that point of view. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe there should be a more leight-weight version of window
configurations, and a more heavy-weight snapshot feature?

  -T.