Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:52:38 +0100

On 12 Aug 2007, at 19:22, Drew Adams wrote:

I've got several files in my directory:
foo.tex  foo.aux  foo.pdf  foo.1.tex  bar.txt

I do: C-x C-f fo <TAB> <RET>

What happens then is that only "foo." is in the minibuffer, and a
buffer visiting the non-existant file of that name is visited.

I disagree with your proposal, David. Being able to use lax completion, for file names and for other things, is very useful. I would not want to see
that behavior changed.

My proposal was not to change completion. My proposal was to not accept a RET after an incomplete completion. (But a RET RET after an incomplete completion would do exactly what the RET does.)

Where do you think is incomplete completion and entering of the incomplete string useful?

However, what I think should happen in the case you mention, and what
happens by default in Icicles, is that TAB immediately displays
*Completions*, which lets you know that completion is incomplete and lets
you see the matching candidate names of the existing files.

I like the current behavior - simply because you know what files are there (or what you want) anyways. No need to see *Completions*.

But in neither case (nil or non-nil) is lax completion foregone and strict completion imposed. I would not want C-x C-f to assume that you want to
visit an existing file.

Again, that's not what I said. I said that only if completion is used, we assume (temporarily) that an existing file is to be visited. If the user completes the file name manually, then that is fine and it can be a new file.