Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:22:27 -0400

    In fact, people thought this so desirable that we have

        * Changes in Emacs 21.2

        [...]

        ** When the *scratch* buffer is recreated, its mode is set from
        initial-major-mode, which normally is lisp-interaction-mode,
        instead of using default-major-mode.

    I would like to retain the ability to do this, though I agree that
    "initial-major-mode" is a completely misleading name for it under the
    new startup design and should become a deprecated alias (do we have
    that?) for something more fitting.

We could have something like auto-mode-alist
for buffer names.